Here are some basic tactics that small farms use to attract loyal customers. Which ones have you tried?
- Specialize in specific, high quality products, such as wonderful apples, grass fed meat, or heirloom vegetables.
- Appeal to a specific customer niche.
- Display your logo everywhere — and use a descriptor or tagline, too.
- Present a consistent image – eg family-friendly, foodie, healthy, social mission, hipster, etc.
- Be transparent about your farming practices, such as organic, IPM, or ecofriendly methods.
- Share your personal story – who you are, where you farm, and why.
- Provide great customer service.
- Create attractive displays.
- Offer experiences or events, such as Pick Your Own flowers, fresh cider donuts, or harvest festivals.
- Have a website — at least a basic one.
- Stay in touch with customers through email or social media.
Good Egg Resources
Marketing for Farmers (presentation)
“Speed Marketing” Plan (template)
Building a Strong Brand for Your Farm (presentation)
Branding for Small Farms (worksheet)
Marketing Plan for a Small Farm (sample)